Gunmen Attack San Diego’s Largest Mosque, Killing Three

Gunmen Attack San Diego's Largest Mosque, Killing Three

San Diego (TDI): A shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday left three people dead and sent shockwaves through the city’s Muslim community, with the incident unfolding in front of children at a school on the mosque’s grounds.

A security guard at the mosque was among those killed, according to law enforcement officials briefed on the situation.

Based on a preliminary investigation, police believe two men found dead from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds near the mosque were the suspects. The men were discovered in a car nearby.

The attack sent panic through the surrounding Clairemont neighborhood. A witness who lives across the street, identified only as Vanessa, told CNN she heard explosions while eating lunch, then watched from an upstairs window as children playing on the mosque’s playground were hurried inside.

Read More: Shooting Near White House Triggers Brief Lockdown

She called 911, and while still on the phone with emergency services, watched a uniformed officer get struck by gunfire. “I told them to hurry up because there’s so many kids,” she said.

Bright Horizons Academy, a San Diego Islamic school serving students from pre-K through twelfth grade that is closely affiliated with the center, was placed on lockdown, though staff and students were reported safe.

Imam Taha Hassane, director of the Islamic Center, confirmed in a video released on social media that all children, teachers, and staff had been safely evacuated. “The entire school is safe,” he said, asking worshippers to stay away from the center for the rest of the day.

San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria confirmed there was “no ongoing threat to the community” after police declared the situation neutralized, and thanked first responders for their swift action.

Read More: 10 Dead in Canada High School Shooting

The FBI also deployed agents to assist local law enforcement, describing the scene as “active and fluid” as they assessed the situation.

The Muslim Community Center of San Diego, a separate nearby mosque, closed for the day out of precaution following the attack.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) issued a statement condemning what it called a “horrifying act of violence,” saying no one should fear for their safety while attending prayers or school.

CAIR also noted troubling context; the organization received 8,683 complaints of anti-Muslim bias and discrimination across the United States in 2025, the highest annual total since it began tracking such incidents in 1996.

News Desk
+ posts