Most people tend to move to European countries to seek advanced learning. Germany hosts a large number of Pakistani students pursuing their higher education. Applying for a German student visa from Pakistan is considered a lengthy process, but you need not worry. Here is a brief guide related to the application procedure and the scholarships students can avail of.
Germany remains one of Europe’s leading study-abroad destinations, with over 400,000 international students studying each year. Pakistani students are one of the largest groups of Asian students at German universities, numbering around eight thousand.
German ambassador to Pakistan Alfred Grannas expressed that the increased academic exchange between both countries signals a strong cultural bond.
Type of student visa for Pakistan
To obtain a study visa for Germany from Pakistan, it is a prerequisite that one must first be admitted to a university in Germany. Once accepted into a university there, you can apply for a student visa.
As a Pakistani national, if you are admitted to a German university, you must apply for a National (D-type) Visa to study. However, this visa is only temporary, and as soon as you arrive in Germany, you must begin the application procedure for a student residence permit, which will allow you to reside in Germany while studying.
You can apply for a German student visa either at the German Embassy in Islamabad or the German Consulate General in Karachi.
Required documents for German student visa in Pakistan
Before applying for a student visa to Germany, Pakistani students need to gather all the documents at their earliest to avoid any inconvenience later on. The necessary documents which are required at the time of application are demonstrated as follows:
Process of applying for a German student visa
The exact process differs depending on which German Mission you will apply to. In general, the whole process consists of the below-mentioned phases:
- A student visa applicant should open a blocked account before entering Germany in their home country. A German blocked account is a special account in which the visa applicant needs to transfer at least EUR 11,208 to prove they have the means to finance themselves throughout the first year of their studies. If you have gained a scholarship or possess a sponsor in Germany, you do not need to fulfill this condition.
- One must purchase a student health insurance policy.
- Make an appointment online. It is pertinent to note that you cannot apply without first scheduling an appointment.
- On the day of your visa appointment, you must visit the embassy or consulate and submit the required documents. On the same day, you may also be required to submit your biometric data (fingerprints) and attend a visa interview.
- The German diplomatic mission may require you to complete the visa fee payment at the embassy or consulate on your visa appointment date. This varies by the German diplomatic mission. The fee for a German student visa in Pakistan is EUR 75 and must be paid in PKR.
- Once you submit your application and complete the visa interview, it may take 4 to 10 weeks for the embassy to process your application and give you an answer.
DAAD Scholarship Programmes for Pakistan
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) supports Pakistani students and academics through several funding programmes to study in Germany such as:
- Master Scholarships
- PhD scholarships
- Post Doc Grants
The DAAD in Germany is now accepting applications from international students for admission to the batch of 2024-2025, allowing them to study for free in Germany on scholarships. Deadlines for the DAAD Scholarship program differ based on the course chosen by the candidate.
Erasmus Mundus Scholarship
The Erasmus Scholarship Program, a flagship project of the European Union, funds students and staff to study, train, or teach in member European nations, including those in Pakistan.
In 2023, Pakistani students got the biggest number of Erasmus Mundus scholarships to study at institutions throughout Europe. Pakistan leads the list with 192 brilliant students who have received these scholarships, ahead of India (174), Bangladesh (140), Mexico (118), and Nigeria (109).
Education in Germany
Germany’s finest universities are spread around the country, with opportunities to study in Munich, Berlin, and 40 other locations. The country is home to 49 of the universities listed in the just-released QS World University Rankings 2024.
Universities are evaluated based on factors such as academic and employer reputation, citations per faculty (a measure of research productivity), sustainability, and more.
|Technical University of Munich
|RWTH Aachen University
|KIT, Karlsruher-Institut für Technologie
|Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
|Technische Universität Berlin (TU Berlin)
This is the list of top 10 universities in Germany with an exceptional global ranking.
Moreover, Germany provides students with economical living options. Finding career possibilities, even as an international student, is simple, which benefits both one’s lifestyle choices and goals of pursuing higher education. With your student visa in Germany, you can travel anywhere in the EU.
German universities provide high-quality education at affordable prices, as well as post-study employment options. Majority of the Pakistani students prefer Germany’s institutions because they provide internationally recognized degrees along with substantial employment rates.