Washington (TDI): The White House on Wednesday said that Iran should move quickly toward an agreement with Washington, as President Donald Trump once again left open the possibility of US military action.
Speaking to reporters, Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said Tehran would be “very wise” to reach a deal with President Trump and his administration, underscoring the growing pressure on Iran amid renewed diplomatic contacts.
Indirect negotiations between the two sides have recently resumed, with Oman acting as mediator. The talks follow weeks of heightened tensions, including US warnings of possible strikes and Iranian condemnation of Washington’s stance after last month’s deadly crackdown on protesters.
A previous diplomatic effort broke down last year after Israel launched surprise attacks on Iranian targets in June, triggering a 12-day conflict that briefly drew in the United States, including airstrikes on Iranian nuclear facilities.
In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump again hinted that military action remained an option. He also cautioned Britain against relinquishing sovereignty over the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean, noting that the strategic Diego Garcia airbase could be critical if action were required against what he described as a “highly unstable and dangerous regime.”
Read More: US Vows to Prevent Iran from Acquiring Nuclear Weapons
US media reported that American forces could be ready to conduct strikes as soon as this weekend, though the president has not yet made a final decision. The Wall Street Journal further reported that Trump has reviewed multiple military scenarios, some designed to inflict extensive damage, including potential operations targeting senior Iranian political and military figures.
Meanwhile, Tehran has indicated it is preparing a framework for continued negotiations. Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said the country is drafting a structured proposal for future talks following a second round of discussions held in Geneva on Tuesday under Omani mediation. He noted that both sides had agreed on certain “guiding principles,” though US Vice President JD Vance stated that Iran has yet to accept all of Washington’s key conditions.
Read More: Tensions High as Trump Joins Iran Nuclear Negotiations Indirectly
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian sought to strike a cautious tone, saying his government does not seek war. However, he stressed that Iran would not submit to demands it views as humiliating. “War must be set aside,” he said, while questioning whether Iran should accept pressure that compromises its sovereignty.












