T20 World Cup: Naqvi Briefs PM on Pakistan’s Participation, Decision Expected Soon

Mohsin Naqvi, T20 World Cup, ICC, International Cricket Council, Bangladesh
Share and Analyze with AI

Islamabad (TDI): Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi said on Monday that he has briefed Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on the ongoing issue involving the International Cricket Council (ICC), adding that a final decision is expected either by Friday or next Monday.

According to a statement from the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO), Naqvi met the premier in Islamabad earlier in the day, where he shared details of recent developments between the ICC and the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) concerning the upcoming T20 World Cup.

Later, Naqvi, who also serves as chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), described the meeting as productive. He said the prime minister directed that the issue be handled carefully, with all options kept open.

“I briefed the prime minister on the ICC matter. He instructed that it should be resolved after considering all possibilities. It was agreed that a final decision will be taken either on Friday or next Monday,” Naqvi said.

Read More: Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan Submit Joint Bid to Host 2027 FIFA U-20 World Cup

The situation has sparked uncertainty over Pakistan’s participation in the tournament after the ICC decided to replace Bangladesh with Scotland. The T20 World Cup is set to begin next month.

Bangladesh was removed from the competition on Saturday after refusing to tour India due to security concerns stemming from strained political relations between the two countries. The ICC rejected Bangladesh’s request to shift their matches to co-host Sri Lanka, citing logistical difficulties so close to the tournament’s February 7 start date.

Hours before the ICC’s announcement, Naqvi had publicly criticized the decision, saying Bangladesh was being treated unfairly and deserved to remain part of the tournament. He had also stated at the time that Pakistan’s participation had not yet been confirmed.

Read More: Pakistan Clinches ICC Women World Cup Spot With a Win Over Thailand

“The prime minister is currently out of the country. Once he returns, we will be able to take a final decision,” Naqvi had said earlier.

Meanwhile, the World Cricketers’ Association (WCA) expressed disappointment over Bangladesh’s absence from the tournament. In a statement issued on Sunday, WCA Chief Executive Tom Moffat called it a sad moment for international cricket and urged stakeholders to focus on unity rather than division.

“The withdrawal of Bangladesh from the T20 World Cup, and the resulting absence of a valued cricketing nation from the sport’s flagship T20 event, is deeply disappointing and calls for serious reflection,” Moffat said.

T20 World Cup
Sports Desk
+ posts