Manchester, 23 May 2022 (TDI): Sunday marked five years since the Manchester arena terrorist attack took place. The attack killed 22 people whilst hundreds more were injured.
Member of Parliament for Witham, Priti Patel stated that they stand together in remembering the 22 lives that were cut short tragically that night.
On the fifth anniversary of the Manchester Arena attack, we stand together to remember the 22 lives that were cut tragically short that night. My thoughts are with the families who lost loved ones and all those affected by that wicked and cowardly act. #WeStandTogether🐝 pic.twitter.com/7BAmDGZgfN
— Priti Patel (@pritipatel) May 22, 2022
The prime minister of the UK, Boris Johnson, also expressed his sympathies for the victims, families, and friends of those affected by the attack.
My thoughts are with the victims, families and friends of all those affected by the cowardly attack on Manchester Arena five years ago today.
The bravery and defiance shown so courageously by Mancunians in the days that followed shows hatred will never win.
— Boris Johnson (@BorisJohnson) May 22, 2022
People paid their respects at the new Glade of Light memorial that was officially opened earlier this month by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
Silences were held and the names of the 22 victims were read out during commemorations at Victoria station which is next to the arena.
Likewise, family and friends of those who were killed took part in remembrance services. They also placed flowers at the Glade of Light Memorial in the city center.
In addition, at 10.31 pm the bells at the Manchester Cathedral rang to mark the time of the attack. After three years, the city marked the anniversary of the incident, free from coronavirus restrictions.
Manchester City Council leader, Bev Craig remembered the 2017 Great Manchester Run Which took place six days after the attack, and said it had expressed that “love proved stronger.” He said that they should not forget the lives of those who died on the day and the noticeable spirit displayed after the attack.
Thus, the city has been united in solidarity, compassion, and a refusal to give in to hatred and fear.
Manchester Arena bombing
In 2017, a suicide bomber detonated a homemade device in the arena’s foyer, at the end of an Ariana Grande concert.
The bombing took place as people were leaving the Manchester Arena after a concert by Ariana Grande, an American singer.
The attacker died including other 22 people whilst, over a thousand people were injured, including children, and several more suffered psychological trauma.
Recently, an independent public inquiry on the attack ended following the hearing of evidence from 267 witnesses in September 2020.