Dhaka (TDI): The Bangladesh government on Monday announced an indefinite ban on the telecast and promotion of the Indian Premier League (IPL), following the controversial removal of Bangladesh fast bowler Mustafizur Rahman from the Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) squad.
KKR had stated on Saturday that the 30-year-old bowler was released after being advised by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to do so. Mustafizur, who had previously featured for other IPL teams, was bought by Kolkata at the December auction for over $1 million.
The decision has sparked widespread public outrage in Bangladesh. In response, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting issued a statement, saying no explanation was provided for the player’s exclusion and that the incident had caused “distress among the people of Bangladesh.” The ministry, citing public interest, ordered all IPL broadcasts and promotions to stop until further notice.
Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) President Aminul Islam Bulbul told reporters that the dignity and security of Bangladeshi cricketers were a top priority and that appropriate decisions would be made in due course.
The ban comes as Bangladesh is scheduled to play three T20 World Cup matches in Kolkata next month, part of the February 7–March 8 tournament co-hosted by India and Sri Lanka. Following the IPL controversy, the BCB requested the International Cricket Council (ICC) to move Bangladesh’s games to Sri Lanka.
Read More: Bangladeshi Chief Advisor Calls for SAARC Revival After Rare India-Pakistan Interaction in Dhaka
BCCI Secretary Devajit Saikia said that, in light of “recent developments,” KKR had been advised to release Mustafizur, though no further details were provided.
The row has also highlighted worsening political relations between India and Bangladesh, which have strained since a mass uprising in Dhaka last year toppled former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, a close ally of New Delhi. Bangladesh’s interim leader, Muhammad Yunus, has accused India of exaggerating reports of violence during the unrest.
Read More: Bangladesh Summons Indian HC Over Attacks on Diplomatic Missions
This is the first time the Bangladesh government has blocked broadcasts of an international cricket tournament, and it underscores growing tensions between the two cricketing neighbours. Cricket news outlets report that the BCB plans to seek a formal explanation from the BCCI regarding the decision.











