---
title: 'Israeli Troops Maintain Buffer Zone in Lebanon, Sparking Occupation Fears'
url: 'https://thediplomaticinsight.com/israel-buffer-zone-lebanon-occupation-fears/'
author: 'Muhammad Usman Hashmi'
date: '2026-04-21T15:57:53+05:00'
categories:
  - 'Middle East'
---

# Israeli Troops Maintain Buffer Zone in Lebanon, Sparking Occupation Fears

**Beirut (TDI): **Israel has ordered residents of southern Lebanon to stay out of a border buffer zone and avoid the Litani River area, as its troops remain inside Lebanese territory following a US-mediated ceasefire.

The Israeli military released maps on social media marking a red line through 21 villages in the south. The maps also bar return to more than 50 additional villages.

Residents have been warned against crossing into the zone between the line and the border. The military said its forces are staying in the area to counter “terrorist” activities by Hezbollah.

Israeli troops have conducted demolitions in several southern villages, targeting infrastructure used by Hezbollah. An Israeli military official explained that the group had embedded its presence in civilian areas over many decades.

The United States will host the second round of ambassador-level talks between Lebanon and Israel on Thursday. A US State Department spokesperson confirmed the meeting, which follows the highest-level contacts in decades between the two sides last week.

**Read More: [Ten Countries Call for ‘Urgent End’ to Lebanon Hostilities in Joint Statement](https://thediplomaticinsight.com/ten-countries-call-end-to-lebanon-hostilities/)**

Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri told Asharq Al-Awsat that Washington is actively working to extend the current ceasefire.

Berri, a veteran Shia political leader and head of the Amal Movement, also met the US ambassador to Lebanon to discuss ways to prolong the truce.

The ceasefire took effect on 17 April and has largely paused the war between Israel and Hezbollah. The 10-day truce followed hostilities that reignited on 2nd March when joint US-Israeli strikes assassinated Iran’s Supreme Leader.

Lebanese authorities say the fighting so far has killed nearly 2,300 people in the country. Hezbollah insists it retains the right to resist Israeli occupation, while Israeli forces say they are creating a buffer zone to protect northern Israel.

Lebanese officials report heavy destruction across 39 villages in the south. The Israeli military maintains that its operations are limited to dismantling Hezbollah infrastructure.