---
title: 'CDF Munir Meets Araghchi Amid US-Iran Diplomatic Push'
url: 'https://thediplomaticinsight.com/cdf-munir-meets-araghchi-amid-us-iran-diplomatic-push/'
author: 'News Desk'
date: '2026-05-23T16:48:53+05:00'
categories:
  - 'Diplomatic News'
tags:
  - 'Abbas Araghchi'
  - 'Asim Munir'
  - 'Donald Trump'
  - 'Iran'
---

# CDF Munir Meets Araghchi Amid US-Iran Diplomatic Push

**Tehran (TDI):** Chief of Army Staff and Chief of Defense Forces Syed Asim Munir held talks with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi in Tehran to discuss diplomatic efforts aimed at ending the US-Israel war on Iran and preventing further regional escalation.

In a statement posted on X, the Iranian government said the two sides exchanged views on initiatives aimed at promoting peace, stability and security in West Asia.

The meeting, which continued late into Friday night, focused on the latest diplomatic developments and mediation efforts underway to stabilise the region amid ongoing tensions between Tehran and Washington.

Field Marshal Munir arrived in Tehran on Friday as part of Pakistan’s continuing diplomatic engagement to help facilitate dialogue between the United States and Iran, according to the Inter-Services Public Relations.

He was received by Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi, Iranian Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni and senior Iranian officials.

During the visit, the army chief also separately met Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian and Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf.

**Read More: [CDF Munir in Tehran as US-Iran Talks Reach Critical Stage](https://thediplomaticinsight.com/cdf-munir-in-tehran-us-iran-talks-critical-stage/)**

The visit comes as Pakistan intensifies mediation efforts following the collapse of plans for a second round of US-Iran negotiations in Islamabad. The first round of direct talks between Tehran and Washington had taken place in Islamabad on April 11 and 12 after a Pakistan-brokered ceasefire earlier that month.

Meanwhile, Iran accused the United States of making “excessive demands” during ongoing diplomatic exchanges, according to Iranian media reports.

Speaking during a phone call with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, Araghchi said Tehran remained committed to diplomacy despite what he described as repeated military aggression and contradictory positions by Washington.

US President Donald Trump has warned that negotiations are at a critical stage, describing talks as being on the “borderline” between a peace agreement and renewed military action.

The conflict began after coordinated US-Israeli strikes on Iran on February 28, triggering retaliatory action by Tehran and competing blockades around the Strait of Hormuz, which disrupted global energy markets.

**Read More: [Iranian Foreign Minister Meets Pakistan’s CDF Munir in Islamabad](https://thediplomaticinsight.com/iranian-fm-meets-pak-cdf-munir-islamabad/)**

According to reports by Axios and CBS News, the White House is weighing the possibility of new strikes on Iran, although no final decision has been taken.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said there had been “some progress” towards a peaceful settlement but acknowledged that major differences remained.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said issues related to the Strait of Hormuz and the US blockade on Iranian ports were also being discussed as part of the negotiations.

The future status of the strategic waterway remains one of the central disputes in the talks, amid concerns that prolonged disruptions could intensify pressure on the global economy and energy supplies.